Thirty-Five Years and Counting!
In 2017 we celebrate the 35th anniversary of the first one-inch polarized-media electronic air cleaner. The first polarized-media electronic air cleaner produced under our "Dynamic Air Cleaner" brand, was introduced in 1982.
As with many high-efficiency filtration products, polarized media has its roots in industrial applications. Although the first electrically enhanced air filters date back to 1930, it wasn’t until 1982 that two professors from Carleton University in Ottawa designed a residential application that combined the many advantages of polarized media with a simple means of replacing dirty media. They started Engineering Dynamics Ltd. (EDL) and began manufacturing 1-inch and 2-inch polarized-media EACs, room console units, and overhead ceiling-mount units. Since then, many subsequent patents and improvements have advanced the technology and broadened its applications, to the point where products like the Dynamic V8 Air Cleaning System lead the industry in performance and energy and maintenance savings.
The original EDL was acquired in 1997 by Environmental Dynamics Group, now known as Dynamic Air Quality Solutions. Today, the factory grown significantly, as has the corporate headquarters in Rocky Hill, New Jersey.
Initially, the company’s focus was residential, but there was a clear need for improved air quality and energy savings in commercial and industrial applications. This resulted in a focus on technological enhancements, new configurations, and a complete line of commercial products. Other noteworthy achievements over the last thirty-five years include:
- Development of the patented one-piece replacement media pad.
- Air cleaner performance has been optimized with respect to power head voltage, center screen material, and static resistance.
- Electronics were encased in solid plastic to eliminate moisture problems.
- Acceptance and distribution of products through OEMs including Trane, Lennox, Rheem, WaterFurnace, Enertech, ClimateMaster, and others.
- Recipient of a Trane “Supplier of the Year” award in 2004.
- The development and addition of a wide range of UVC products.
- Development and introduction of commercial V-Bank and germicidal systems.
- Design and installation of systems for anthrax clean-up at the U.S. Postal Service.
- The introduction of several residential private brands including Nexstar, Aire Serv, Service Roundtable, and others.
- Introduction of the industry-leading V8 Air Cleaning System that offers MERV15 performance while using 2/3 less fan energy than MERV14 filters.
- Installation of the Dynamic V8 throughout the LEED® Platinum Renovation of ASHRAE Headquarters.
- Installed into hundreds of LEED® certified projects.
- Winner of several awards including the 2016 Construction Excellence Award, the 2013 Top Products Award, and back to back 2011 and 2012 ED+C and Sustainable Facility’s Readers Choice Awards.
“Today commercial sales make up well over half of our business,” according to Duke Wiser, president of Dynamic Air Quality Solutions. “Over the years, specifying engineers and multi-national companies have come to rely on our expertise in solving IAQ issues, saving energy, and reducing operational costs. We have been able to recommend the right tool for the right job, and have done so in applications all over the world. Some of our high-profile jobs include the LEED Platinum renovation of ASHRAE headquarters in Atlanta, the Securities and Exchange Commission headquarters, Barnes Foundation Museum, numerous federal courthouses, military installations, and hundreds of hospitals, universities, and schools.”
For commercial building operators, Dynamic Air Quality Solutions has helped address two things that have historically been at odds: better IAQ and reduced operating costs. Dynamic Air Cleaners combine high levels of particle filtration, odor removal, and VOC removal with low pressure drops and the longest maintenance cycles in the industry. And Dynamic Air Cleaners can often allow operators to reduce outside air levels (which can further reduce energy costs and improve IAQ) by implementing the ASHRAE 62 IAQ Procedure.
On the residential and light commercial side of the business, three decades of experience has allowed us to optimize our products and better serve contractors and technicians. The same product attributes that facilitate a fast, uncomplicated installation have allowed Dynamic to concentrate on selling through service technicians which more than triples selling opportunities beyond new construction or system replacement. Today, Dynamic’s comprehensive residential product line includes polarized-media air cleaners, germicidal UV systems, activated carbon matrix systems, bypass HEPA systems, and time-release condensate drain pan treatments. By giving our partners all the tools they need, it allows them to tailor IAQ solutions and packages to meet client’s needs.
We have also learned that contractor training is a critical element of a successful IAQ sales program. Extending far beyond basic product training, on-site technician training has been taken to a new level with NATE Certified IAQ Training. Dynamic’s IAQ training is includes communication skills for personnel that interact regularly with clients, such as technicians and inside staff. It also includes accountability training to define specific goals and measures results. “We’ve really emphasized this in our training seminars,” according to Steve Mores, vice president of residential sales. “But above all, we stress the importance of doing the right thing for the customer.”
“We really partner with our dealers and we try to make it fun,” continued Mores, “We role play, do ride-alongs, put together spiff programs, and are constantly trying to come up with something new. The key is to get the technician comfortable presenting to their customers solutions that give them they want: clean, healthy air.”
Going forward, we plan to continue to focus on the things that have made us successful. And NATE certified customized sales and communication training will continue to be upgraded to exceed expectations. We also intend to:
- Work with owners to ensure a good understanding of the positive business impact of a successful IAQ program.
- Further promote a positive culture of “doing the right thing” for clients.
- Train, motivate, and educate sales and service professionals.
- Help companies to prepare, measure, and attain revenue goals with long term accountability.
- Increase contractor profit margins as a percent of revenue.
- Increase average service and maintenance tickets.
- Reward sales efforts with opportunities for higher compensation and sales contests.
- Have fun!
Thank you for your continued support that has made this milestone possible. We appreciate your loyal patronage and look forward to a mutually prosperous relationship in the future as we continue to improve products and services to meet your clients IAQ needs.